The Pascale Method differs from the Suzuki Method in many ways. With the Pascale Method,
- Students can learn to play the violin in 14-weeks.
- Children learn to read notes from the beginnning.
- Students learn difficult techniques and concepts quickly and easily.
- The approach is natural and individualistic. We understand that each child is unique.
- There is a high success rate. At the conclusion of our 14-week KinderViolin® class, for example, 99% of students continue their stringed instrument studies.
The first step in the Pascale Method is the group KinderPiano ® class. From there, we offer a progressive series of classes and ensembles.
START THEM YOUNG
- Recommended age: 3.5 years minimum.
- Children learn listening, note values, rhythm, basic note reading, cooperation and good practice habits.
- Must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Taught as a class, or in private lessons.
WHEN THEY ARE READY
- KinderPiano® class, or the equivalent, is a prerequisite for KinderViolin®. Teacher assesses readiness.
- Recommended age: 4 1/2 - 7 year olds.
- 14-week session.
- Student must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Bass, viola and cello are introduced at the conclusion of the session
PEER SUPPORT AND TEAMWORK IS FUN AND ACCELERATES LEARNING
- Graduates of the KinderViolin® class enter the Training Orchestra.
- Student must be able to play a scale and hold instrument correctly.
- Students learn how to play in a group, follow the conductor, rhythms, tempos etc.
- 14-week session concludes with a joint performance with the Children’s Orchestra
- By audition only. (Prerequisite: Must be enrolled in private lessons with the South Pasadena Strings Program, and have taken Training Orchestra class)
- Seating auditions are required to determine placement in the orchestra.
- The repertoire for this orchestra includes middle and high school-level compositions.
- Performances: 2 neighborhood concerts, 1 competition, and more.
ONE-ON-ONE INSTRUCTION IS KEY, AND REQUIRED
- “Pascale Certified” teachers follow curriculum for beginner through Intermediate levels.
- The first eighteen months of instruction cover:
- Basic scales (covering major keys)
- Left hand techniques (including “Daily Finger” exercises, trills, double stops, and more)
- Performance pieces
- Third position
- 3 Octave Scales/Arpeggios
- Orchestra Music
- Minimum 2 recitals required per year. (Must be accompanied and memorized)
Chamber Music (optional)
Some children form quartets with children the same age and playing ability starting at 5-years-old. “KinderQuartet”, “BFF Quartet”, etc.